Sunday, September 22, 2024

 



Technology Leader, Websites, and Digital Tools

This week’s module readings were enlightening and quite eye opening. I have learned through observations and questioning my students when they return from the library that my current librarian does not perform any of the roles highlighted in our readings and lecture. To start with, the librarian has never completed any professional development courses at the beginning of the year. While I have seen her incorporate technology into lessons with older students (4th and 5th graders), I have not seen her incorporate technology into third grade lessons. The librarian could be using the SAMR (Eanes Independent School District, n.d.) framework model and decided that her lessons did not meet the needs of the students. Regardless, I have not witnessed any of the expected technological leadership skills from our current librarian.  



After looking at several technology plans from different school districts, I noticed that the focus is on meaning learning by students through specific technology platforms. It was also interesting to see details on age and grade level appropriate activities and expectations. This can be a daunting task for a teacher responsible for multiple ages and grade levels. The websites evaluated gave me great insight into what not to do and what will be nonnegotiable for my future library website. Most of the sites I visited were jammed pack with resources for students, parents, and teachers. One site provided an example of what not to do for my site. While the site was meticulously organized and provided numerous resources, it was a cold site that lacked a human element. There was minimal wording or explanation of any of its resources. The librarian did not introduce or even welcome users to the site, which I feel is an essential element.


The tool I chose to include on my site is KidLit Radio. This tool includes podcast, music, activities, and read alouds for children of all ages. Children can listen to podcasts that include interviews with children’s literature authors and watch book trailers to learn about new books they can read. I am immediately adding this tool to my class app and my Google Classroom, so my students have access to this amazing resource. When I become a librarian, KidLit Radio will be used during class time and be available on my website.


Eanes Independent School District. (n.d.). Educational technology. https://www.eanesisd.net/academics/ed-tech


KidLit TV. (2024, July). KidLit Radio: StoryMakers with Portia Clare – Best friends forever: A puppy’s tale [Audio podcast]. KidLit TV. https://www.kidlit.tv/2024/07/kidlit-radio-storymakers-with-portia-clare-best-friends-forever-a-puppys-tale/

No comments:

Post a Comment